Team VA's Wonderings

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Irish Eyes are Smiling

I´ve been frequently surpirsed how little I have missed of England, the weekly, monthly and yearly routines. Dominos, poker night and the summer barbecues have all passed without really affecting me. The Masters in April was the first thing that really made me think of what I´d normally be doing. And although I´ve missed a lot of action in recent Opens, it was the first thing I´d been on the internet reading the build up rather than just noting the result afterwards in a slightly detached manner. Perhaps this was because of my recent stint in Europe. Maybe, but I´m not so sure. Despite the almost vice like American grip since big JD won at St Andrew´s in 1995, it holds a special place in my heart. I´ve made some ludicrous attempts to watch it in Spain, Portugal and the US in recent years-often without success, so why should Ecador have been any different.

I had a plan of sorts. I needed to find a bar (I´n in a TV free hostel). A bar that would show golf. And would do that as early as possible in the morning. I figured I had no chance before 10, so headed off about 9 to start scouting likely looking place. I had spotted some possibilities in the previous 2 days and took a list of English pubs from the LP. The plan was to circulate every so often and see if I could get in, check the scores on the internet from time to time and read Harry Potter in the park in between.

At about 11.30 I found the Irish bar had opened up and was showing soccer. I quickly persuaded them to switch channels and sat down a very happy man. I won´t talk much of the golf, it you watched it you care and will know more than me, if you didn´t, well that´s a bit odd. Suffice to say I had no commentary as an Ecuadorian soft rock station was playing on the tannoy. This was a bit weird, it would have been nice to hear the roars of the crowd, understand what happened with Harrignton´s 3rd at 18 and hear if Sergio misread a putt others holed. But Peter Alliss wouldn´t have given me that. I reckon I understood most of Harrington´s speech from his body languageand the camera work. I hope someone asked him if he thought of Jean van de Velde on the 72nd. It was great to see McGinley and the plumber watching them too.

For some time Mac and I have sad we felt Padraig had a US PGA in him, happily we underestiamted him greatly. As I was walking this morning, confident of a Garcia win I mused that there was so many talented Europeans of his generation that they couldn´t all win majors, but many surely would. I thought perhaps the time had passed for Monty, Our Lee, Big Darren and Padraig. Fortunately no one is paying me for my crystal ball efforts.

Any Open related comments are most welcome!

The shot of a broad smiling member of the crowd reading Harry Potter somehow sums up my day. After the last putt, the smile on my face was so huge that everyone waling past me stared at the TV. I´m not sure that helped them understand.

I have things to write about Quito, but today is not that day. Today is a day out, a day in Ecaudor that was almost England.

Just one question-why don´t we always hold it at Carnoustie?

And Sergio, go win the US PGA

3 Comments:

  • That was a good Open - even before it became clear that we were certainly going to have a European winner. I can't help but feel sorry for Sergio, but I don't think he choked it. he was very tight and nervous on the front 9, but he recovered and was actually very unlucky with that putt on 18 and with a couple in the playoffs. I think the best thing though was the second chance Padraig got (and took) after he fluffed 18 so badly. I wasn't thinking of Van de Velde so much as Thomas Bjorn a couple of years ago and that bunker shot he fluffed - twice - that cost him an Open. It was nice when Padraig's missus let his little boy run onto the green after he had holed out with a 6 and give his dad a big hug, and as someone in the commentary team said, it must have helped put everything into perspective.

    Odd little moment too when the Garcia and Harrington passed each other on the bridge at 17/18 and studiously avoided eye-contact with each other, never mind having a friendly word. Good to see McGinley having a decent tournament and to see him supporting his mate, but perhaps the most worrying news is that some of the Americans have been seen in the local pub sharing a pint and a few laughs together between rounds. Perhaps they've finally worked out what the Ryder Cup is all about (although Tiger was notable only for his absence, obviously).

    A good week. Shame about Monty, of course.... but a worthy winner.

    Sergio is only 27. His time will surely come. If there's ever another major when Tiger isn't in contention, clearly.

    ST

    By Blogger swisslet, at 9:22 AM  

  • Definitely felt sorry for Sergio but it seemed somehow predictable that,after leading from day 1,he would fail to reproduce such form on the last.It made for a great afternoon's viewing though with Romero and Els very much in the running along with Harrington...and I'm not even that into golf!

    Mik

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM  

  • Yesiree, it was a belting Open this year. Those last three holes under that sort of pressure.. Nice for Mr Van De Velde to rest a bit easier now!

    You didn't miss much on the old commentary. The one man for me who always stands out is Mr Dougie Donnelly....he's just brilliant as he interviews the players on the range. Given that you're on Facebook, you should really add your name to the follwing Group. Legend.


    Dougie Donnelly Appreciation Society

    By Blogger Statue John, at 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home