Team VA's Wonderings

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Greetings Pop Pickers

I blame Nick Hornby, or the Y chromosone for our obsession with lists and top 10s. I've known for about a month I'd end up doing my top 10 on the flights back to the UK.

Oh my, this is going to be a long, long flight. I have failed to blag an upgrade, even with my offered frequent flyer miles-they needed Air Canada ones, Star Alliance was insufficient; I've saved till last probably the most stupid thing I've done-I didn't lock my iPod and I didn't check the battery today, it was fully charged before my flight from Rapa, it's flat now; Air Canada appears to have the worst in flight entertainment in history; there is just the one main screen, none of the seat back screens and choice everyone else has; they don't provide eye masks or socks; the announcements are coming thick and fast, I think they're trying to outdo BA-no mean feat, in 3 sodding languages; seriously, just shut up and fly the plane; the cabin crew are exhibiting all the charm of people running a school trip; I'm not feeling any positive vibes about getting a veggie meal. This is shit. That fat bloke from Who's Line is it Anyway should be ashamed for promoting them. Been going 25 mins and already I think the worst airline competition has a comfortable winner.

I have deliberately not re-read my blog in writing this list. I'll be stunned if there's not at least one unforgivable omission. When Mill MSN'ed me in Taupo I'd forgotten Sussuvlei, which I still can't spell. As I'm running off memory, I think the list is more general than if I'd re-read everything. I'll have to do it one day, but it's a bit daunting.

Before we get there, there's the last bit of Chile to cover.

I got a phone call to tell me the flight was four hours delayed (turns out I was the delayed flight curse, not Mr Adams). I was the only one to get a call as I was the business class customer. I really hate that, it's the same when they extend a special welcome to their frequent flyers. It's unnecessary discrimination, and I am a frequent flyer.

Anyway, this meant getting to the hotel in Santiago at midnight rather than 8. I never sleep when I arrive somewhere and this was no different. By the time I got myself together in the morning and did my backpacker best at the breakfast buffet, I was checking out at midday. With a 4 o'clock airport shuttle and 2 hours of Rapa photos to upload, I only managed another brief, directionless walk around Santiago. I'm sure my third visit will be more successful. Still, there was time enough time as I walked back to the hotel for two Chilean girls to run up to me and tell me they loved me in English and Spanish. Always nice when someone tells you they love you and this was the first time this year. I checked my pockets, they hadn't taken anything-so it must be true love. Maybe I'll see them next time.

So. The List.

11. The Sozz
Known to some as Swiss Toni. He's been my only regular source of comments, for which I am very grateful. It's been great to know there's someone out there, even if it has occasionally led to me writing something just to try and get the reaction I expect. Justin Rose?

The night before I left I sent him a top 10 earworms , into which I shamelessly squeezed an eleventh. It's nice to bookend the journey with the same trick.

In less than 2 weeks I'm meant to be speaking at his wedding-I really should be writing that instead.

10. Conyagi {Africa}
From one cheat to another-this is a marker for the nights out. Since Oz, they've all but dried up, but there were some blinders. None more so than demolishing a bottle of Conyagi with Mill in Zanzibar, while Didi acted as Karen's pimp and then heading to the student disco.

Yup; they screwed up my 'special meal' (it's not like I have to eat through a straw); no they don't carry spares; no there isn't anything spare in business; yes, it is odd how often they don't have enough special meals.

9. Wineglass Bay {Australia}
Really a marker for Tasmania, which was an unplanned destination and unexpected joy.

8. Diving {Tanzania and Australia}
I raved so much on Zanzibar and the reef that it had to be here.

Besides, Mill would never have forgiven me for leaving it out.

7. Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater {Tanzania}
Neither of which I can still spell-Lonely Planet returned to England months ago. I went to a lot of national parks in Africa. This was the best.


Frankly, the above are a little arbitrary. The Fox Glacier, Mount Cook, the Otago peninsula, the penguins, Sussuvlei, the Bay of Islands, Boats, Cradle Mountain, Gordon River, Cape Point, Fraser Island, Swags, the Okonvongo Delta, Cape Tribulation, the cassowaries and the stars in the Southern sky all put in top performances and should count themselves unlucky to have missed out on selection.

All of the top 6 that follows gave me the immediate feeling of 'I'll remember this as long as I remember my name'. Interestingly, they all made me feel small and insignificant as well as being the moments I should have referred to as touching the soul. The gap between no 7 and no 25 isn't much. The gap between 6 and 7 is huge. There are some serious contenders for the new Seven Wonders in here.


6. Milford Sound {New Zealand}
Some words like genius are overused and lose their power and resonance through repetition. So for the moment, try to forget a thousand and one inane interviews and savour Milford Sound. The word?

Awesome.

5. Roger Federer {Switzerland, seen in Australia}
I heard he beat Nadal on clay last week; I'm tempted to go to Paris and blow a month's budget seeing if he can complete the set and do a Roger Slam. He was that good.

4. Sydney Opera House {Australia}
Arguably my favourite place just to be.

3. Uluru {Australia}
I've been doing missionary work preaching the message of the rock to everyone I meet who's off to Australia, so many of whom only have plans for the East Coast. I think I persuaded a few.

The best place to wake up.

Don't climb on it.

2. Hermanus {South Africa}
Has justice been served? I'm not sure. I spent my second Sunday and Monday at Hermanus whale watching. Ever since, when chatting about my travels, I've always said it was my top highlight .

So, after a Bryan Adams like 31 weeks on top, I've dumped it at the very last. When I stop travelling and everything sinks in, it may regain top spot.

No photos, but vivid memories.

1. Rapa Nui {Chile}
I've just written reams on this.

Perhaps all I can add is that it's a spiritual place and not a gimmicky one trick pony, which I thought might just possibly be the case, as I knew very little when I added it to the itinerary. Who knows, without Statue John I might never have gone there.


There you have it. 7 and half months reduced to a highly questionable list. And no mention of the England cricket team.

The flight's been rather bumpy for an extended period. I never like that-this is certainly one just to get over and done with. Hope I can charge my iPod in Toronto.

This blog was always intended as a travel diary. In theory I should shut up now till I fly to Quito on July 4. But am I now addicted to blogging like certain others? And does going to weddings in Pisa and Vienna via Rome count as wandering? What about Glasto, where I'm meeting up with John and Shirley, who I met at Rapa?

Only time will tell. Ciao.

4 Comments:

  • aw, now I'm all choked up.

    And English my arse. Justin Rose is still bloody South African. And yes, I'm fully aware how easy I am to bate. Isn't that part of the fun?

    And I'm pretty sure that Statue John isn't addicted to blogging.

    It'll be nice to see you mate. Such comments as I have made here have generally been short and flippant. I'm sure you deserve better, and I know of at least one other person (who you don't know) who has been reading this avidly. Hello Sarah.

    ST

    By Blogger swisslet, at 11:24 PM  

  • incidentally, I know that Billy Bragg is a given, but I assume you're up for Madness at Glasto too?

    By Blogger swisslet, at 11:26 PM  

  • Nah, I'm addicted to cigs ;-)

    By Blogger Statue John, at 11:56 PM  

  • I keep meaning to mail you about the Braggster. This is something that happened to me a lot when I was travelling, I'd think about sending a mail then never be anywhere near an internet.

    Anyway, I really want to see the bard of barking this year-more than ever. Listened to quite a lot while I was away.

    Madness? I'll dig out my shorts (Madstock t-shirt died). I dislocated my little toe dancing to them in Benicassim. They still got it.....

    By Blogger Poll Star, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home