Team VA's Wonderings

Thursday, December 14, 2006

What the Quokka's that?

NB This was written and meant to be posted the day before the test began (Wednesday).

I wanted to try and do a post before the cricket starts. Thus allowing the depressed, emotionally vulnerable and non cricket lovers to skip the next post or 2.

Yesterday Rich, who I met on the Southern Curl tour, and I took the ferry the 20 or so kms out to Rottnest Island. Can you guess what the locals call it? That's right, rotto; your Australian's coming on nicely.

The island gets its name from the Dutch mistaking the native Quokkas for some big arse rats. As Rich and I rode our gearless hire bikes up hill and past a small wooded area, Rich remarked 'this looks like Quokka territory'. No sooner were the words hanging on the air, than



I thought they were pretty cool and friendly. It's hardly surprising the Quokkas sought us out, the bike boys were damn impressive.



Like much of WA, there weren't many specific sights to see, it was just a beautiful place.



Today, I left Gwyn and Andy's. They've been wonderful hosts and even enjoyed eating veggie for a few days. I hope to be back to impose myself on them, I mean visit them, again next year.



They headed off to Adelaide, while I headed off to my hostel in central Perth to be in striking distance of the WACA.

In the afternoon I headed up to King's Park, which has phenomenal views over the city.




A hidden gem and we bumped into the geordie lads from our trip, who've cricket tickets for the same days as myself.

RIP

This won't mean much to those who haven't been travelling with me; in fact this may be the most boring thing I've written (we should have a poll on that), but it's very important to me and it's my blog.

The coffin has passed.



You may remember me banging on about struggling with the luggage restrictions set on my Africa trip. Now I'm free to have what I want, I've got this bad boy.



It totally rules; it's got all sorts of hidey holes-including 2 main sections and it has wheels and it converts into a back pack for rough terrain. I'm very pleased and I don't care if no one else is interested.

1 Comments:

  • Incoming Traveller From Swiss Toni's Blog...

    Hmm, I've spent 3 weeks living in Perth as well as several holidays here and so far you've done more sight seeing than me.

    Mind you, most people have seen more of London than me, and I lived there 32 years.

    By Blogger Crucifer, at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home