Team VA's Wonderings

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Africa reflections

After leaving Roger and Milly at the Mall, my taxi dropped me off at Nairobi airport and my final day or so in Africa was quite uneventful. The airport hotel did the job, even if it didn't have coverage of the Ashes to keep me up all night. I can't believe that's my first blog Ashes mention. It seemed a stroke of luck that my phone was back in action as things were getting underway at the Gabba. Then I started getting updates on England's mullering and started wondering why I was spending my first month in Oz following England around. At least we're looking good in Adelaide. (By the way my travel mobile should be fully functional henceforth and primed for your wise texts and calls).

As is my wont, I found time for some reflections; much of which I've already mused on. I'd done little preparation for the overland tour-I was reading the Lonely Planet country sections on the truck, so my expectations were limited. Some of the things that surprised me were just a result of me not thinking clearly. So here goes.

Endless people have trotted out the cliché 'In Europe you have watches, in Africa, we have time'. The easiest way isn't necessarily the African way and boy do they love bureacracy. Arguably this a bad environment for a project manager with a 'Do it right, do it now' philosophy. Yet I loved it.

I only scratched the surface-to even call this an African tour is silly. I went to 8 countries in 7 weeks and didn't get North of the equator. I want to come back and I want to go to Madagascar especially.

A trip so focused on wildlife is very, very different to most travelling.

You do feel removed from the people of the countries; this is a fundamental issue I've found when travelling in developping countries. Like the girl in Common People, westerners always have an out-our travel insurance will pay for the doctors, most locals can't afford; we can fly home etc. I've always laughed at those on gap years and in Kula Shaker, who say they've experienced the 'real' India. I think the gap between some cultures is too great.

To camp, overland and travel in Africa, you need the right attitude-I reckon half my travelling companions didn't.

The key reflection is that it's been bloody brilliant.